Cyber-physical resilience of power systems is the ability of the system to prepare for and adapt to changing operating conditions, as well as withstanding and recovering rapidly from major disruptions caused by cyber attacks as well as deliberate or naturally occurring physical threats and incidents.
Our research develops tools and models for assessing and enhancing the cyber-physical resilience of power distribution systems and critical infrastructure against cyber attacks and physical failures. The cyber-physical distribution system testbed at U-Smart laboratory enables real-time digital simulation and verification of the proposed resilience solutions.
- M. Khan, A. Palomino, J. Brugman, J. Giraldo, S. Kasera, M. Parvania, “The Cyber-Physical Power System Resilience Testbed: Architecture and Applications,” IEEE Computer Magazine, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 44-54, May 2020. DOI
- M. M. Hosseini, A. Umunnakwe, M. Parvania, T. Tasdizen, “Intelligent Damage Classification and Estimation in Power Distribution Poles Using Unmanned Aerial Vehicles and Convolutional Neural Networks,” IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, in press, 2020. DOI
- M. M. Hosseini, M. Parvania, “Quantifying Impacts of Automation on Resilience of Distribution Systems,” IET Smart Grid, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 144-152, April 2020. DOI
- H. T. Nguyen, M. Parvania, P. Khargonekar, “Worst-case Probabilistic Network Outage Identification Under Physical Disturbance,” IEEE Control Systems Letters, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 115-120, January 2020. DOI
- J. Brugman, M. Khan, S. Kasera, M. Parvania, “Cloud Based Intrusion Detection and Prevention System for Industrial Control Systems Using Software Defined Networking,” in Proc. Resilience Week 2019, San Antonio, TX, Nov. 2019. DOI
- H. T. Nguyen, J. Muhs, M. Parvania, “Assessing Impacts of Energy Storage on Resilience of Distribution Systems Against Hurricanes,” Journal of Modern Power Systems and Clean Energy, vol. 7, no. 4, pp 731-740, July 2019. DOI
- M. Hosseini, A. Umunnakwe, M. Parvania, “Automated Switching Operation for Resilience Enhancement of Distribution Systems,” in Proc. 2019 IEEE PES General Meeting, Atlanta, GA, August 4-8, 2019. DOI
- J. Muhs, M. Parvania, “Stochastic Spatio-Temporal Hurricane Impact Analysis for Power Grid Resilience Studies,” in Proc. IEEE Innovative Smart Grid Technologies (ISGT) Conference, Washington, DC, Feb. 2019. DOI
- S. Shin, S. Lee, D. R. Judi, M. Parvania, E. Goharian, T. McPherson, S. J. Burian, “A Systematic Review of Quantitative Resilience Measures for Water Infrastructure Systems,” Water, vol. 10, no. 2, 2018. DOI
Tools and Testbed
Funded Research Projects
- SolarSTARTS: Solar-Assisted State-Aware and Resilient Infrastructure Systems, U.S. Department of Energy, 2019-2022
- Cyber-Physical Control, Health Assessment and Resilient Response for Microgrids, Office of Naval Research, 2018-2021.
- Hierarchical Resiliency Control for Smart Cities, University of Utah Research Foundation, 2016-2017.
PacifiCorp, Idaho National Laboratory, Utah Governor’s Office of Energy Development, Prof. Anurag Srivastava (Washington State University), Prof. Sneha Casera (University of Utah)